Other direct costs include items that cannot be attributed to any other budget category. This line item in your budget should not include unexplained "miscellaneous" items. Be sure items are detailed and justified in the budget justification.
Items may include:
- Marketing or advertising costs;
- Space or equipment rental;
- Insurance for shipping equipment;
- Fees for use of labs or other campus services (for fees to use Appalachian's Dewel Microscopy Facility, please see https://casmifa.appstate.edu/facility/access-fees);
- Fees for professional services provided by other institutions/organizations (See when it is more appropriate to pay another institution/organization via a professional services agreement, rather than a subcontract.)
- Publication costs (which may be its own separate line item depending on the sponsor's budget form/guidelines), which include the costs of documenting, preparing, publishing, disseminating and sharing research findings and supporting material; consider both page charges and reprint costs.
- Costs for communication/postage (which may be its own separate line item depending on the sponsor's budget form/guidelines), including long-distance phone charges. For the most current U.S. Postal Service rates, please see https://postoffice.appstate.edu